visit utsnyc.edu Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

John Bell, Artist-in-Residence



During the week of October 15, John Bell from the Iona Community in Scotland was a guest artist-in-residence at the seminary. During the week he worked with students to lead chapel each day, met with worship classes, and led workshops both at Auburn Seminary and Advent Lutheran Church. Bell moves easily between leading congregational songs, preaching, conversation with a congregation, and liturgical action.

Watch the video of some of the highlights of this week's services and post a comment.
More about John Bell, the Iona Community, and Wild Goose resources can be found at the Iona website.

video by Patricia Santiago and Kyle Carnes
editing by Patricia Santiago

3 comments:

Caroline said...

I just found the UTS worship blog and I am truly grateful for a way to connect with the Union worshiping community from afar! I will be eager to find more of these brief glimpses of the creative, provocative, inspiring movement of the Spirit at work in the UTS chapel.

During my three years as a full-time commuter student, I always looked forward to the mid-day services. I miss having the opportunity to experience such diverse traditions of prayer and music and preaching, to learn from such a variety of perspectives, and to be enriched by such creative use of the arts. Thank you for opening the doors of the chapel to me again through these blog entries!

Caroline Cargo, M.Div. 1995
Pennsylvania

Troy said...

Caroline,
Thanks for your comment. It is great to hear from you. I'm glad you found the blog.

Visit often. We hope to post something new about every week to ten days. Our hope is that these short videos will give people a taste of worship at Union and also inspire some ideas for other congregations.

Blessings, Troy

Anonymous said...

I want to "second" the first paragraph of Caroline's comment. However, I am much further away in time from Union worship and I miss it a great deal. It is great to know about the bits of video available.

Bonnie Cox Joint MA 1963